[vlc-devel] Migration to Merge Requests

Konstantin Pavlov thresh at videolan.org
Tue May 11 17:49:39 UTC 2021

Hi Pierre,

On Sun, May 09, 2021 at 08:48:47PM +0200, Pierre Ynard via vlc-devel wrote:
> > > What's the synchronization status between code.videolan.org and
> > > git.videolan.org, for either vlc or vlc-3.0?
> >
> > Currently, nothing is synchronized.

It's not 100% true.

https://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc/vlc-3.0.git;a=summary is mirrored to https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc-3.0 and to https://github.com/videolan/vlc-3.0/

https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc is NOT mirrored to http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=summary
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc is mirrored to https://github.com/videolan/vlc/

> git.videolan.org's GitWeb can offer an alternative to some of GitLab's
> shortcomings. Well how about we disable push access and make it
> automatically pull from code.videolan.org?

What is the gitweb feature you're talking about here?  I would really
really like to get rid of gitweb sooner than later for videolan projects
(granted, it's likely impossible in full because of eg ffmpeg.git, but
we'll see).

The push access to git.v.o/vlc.git is already disabled.  I'm specifically
not pulling from code.v.o, exactly because I wanted people to notice
(without breaking their pipelines or processes) that the repo is not
updated anymore so they can have a chance of migrating over to a new one.
At some point in the future I would really like to remove vlc.git from
git.v.o just like we did for the majority of our projects in the years
before.

> The new push notifications sent to the vlc-commits mailing list don't
> show individual commits within a merge request. Would it be possible to
> fix this?

It is annoying yes.  Not possible to change this behaviour in Gitlab email
notifications, but I think there are two other ways to tackle this issue:

 - Rewrite an older gitweb-based git-notify hook (we had something similar to
   https://github.com/acg/git-notify/blob/master/git-notify) and use it as
   Server hook (https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/administration/server_hooks.html)

 - Write a new hook endpoint application based on Webhook API
   (https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/integrations/webhooks.html)
   and Commits API (https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/api/commits.html) provided by Gitlab.

Not sure which is more fun. :-)

--