[vlc-devel] VLC 3.0.18 release will be tagged soon

Steve Lhomme robux4 at ycbcr.xyz
Mon Aug 22 08:06:46 UTC 2022

Hi,

On 2022-08-20 9:01, David Fuhrmann wrote:
> Dear VideoLAN community,
>
> We would like to do the 3.0.18 release soon, and we would like to try
> out an improved release process this time:
>
> - First, we will tag 3.0.18-rc and build and publish all release
> artifacts for testing for the whole community (on
> download.videolan.org/testing/ <http://download.videolan.org/testing/>)
> - We will give 1-2 weeks for concentrated testing. Help from everyone is
> very welcome here, please use the published artifacts to find out
> whether we have any serious regressions or urgent bugs which need to be
> fixed before the final release
> - The final release will be tagged as 3.0.18
>
> After some discussion with Hugo and j-b, we would like to propose the
> following timeline:
>
> - 3.0.18-rc tag: Monday August 22nd (next week)
> - 3.0.18 tag: Wednesday August 31st (1,5 weeks later)
>
> Would this timeline be fine for everyone who is affected?
>
> I would like to propose a more stringent approach on the timeline for
> the releases from now on:
> In case of some serious issues which might delay the planned dates, I
> kindly ask to be transparent about it and discuss it here on this mail
> thread, on this very mailing list. Please always provide a clear and
> concrete explanation what is blocking the release, including a link to a
> bug ticket or open merge request which still needs to go in. If we see
> no veto from anyone, the tag shall happen as planned above.

I would like to get the dvdread and dvdnav patches merged as DVD
playback is broken in Windows UCRT builds (using llvm-mingw). It was
always broken so it may not be a blocker. But since there won't be a
release in a while and this patch is almost ready...

This one is pending for 3.0
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/merge_requests/2417

And we will need this one in 3.0 once it's merged
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/merge_requests/2416