[vlc-devel] MergeRequest process (bot) update

Simon Latapie garf at videolan.org
Mon Jan 31 16:27:32 UTC 2022

Rémi,

On Sun, Jan 30, 2022, at 09:15, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le sunnuntaina 30. tammikuuta 2022, 9.59.29 EET Rémi Denis-Courmont a écrit :
>> Le perjantaina 28. tammikuuta 2022, 1.21.42 EET Simon Latapie a écrit :
>> > If there is no real complain about that, I will push the changes in
>> > production this weekend.
>>
>> It seems that patches stay stuck reviewable or in review forever now as
>> nobody approves anything that they are not actively in favour of.
>>
>> Sorry but unless the foundation start paying people to review in time, this
>> is a non-starter of a process.
>
> OK nevermind, it seems that the bot was out of commission when I wrote that.
>
> It remains somewhat unclear to me what happens to patches that are not
> considered reviewed at all, and to those with all threads resolved but no
> votes nor approvals.

Right now, what is supposed to be "implemented", either in term of human process or bot script:
- MRs from VLC Developers (in term of gitlab role - aka people that have the right to merge) that are not considered reviewed at all for a certain amount of time (72h for now) are considered Accepted - aka mergeable.
- MRs from VLC Developers that have some threads resolved but with a Score of zero (so no approval with the new scoring method) are considered Acceptable, then Accepted 24h after the last thread resolve.

- MRs from external contributors *must* have both a strictly positive score (at least an approval from a Developer) and all threads resolved to be Acceptable, and the MR will become Accepted after 72h.

If you have any suggestion that could ease the MR authors or reviewers experience, do not hesitate to propose.
I will try to do my best to help you on that.

Regards,

--
Simon Latapie
garf at videolan.org