[vlc-devel] MergeRequest process (bot) update

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jan 31 17:35:23 UTC 2022

Le maanantaina 31. tammikuuta 2022, 19.26.55 EET Simon Latapie a écrit :
> No real fixed opinion about CI priority to be honest.
> I thought VLC CI was more about checking build regression on main user
> platfforms, but coverage is also an important strategy.

I fail to see the point in checking for build regression on whatever are the
"main user platforms". Even the most restlessest power users download one
nightly per day at most.

If the goal is to prevent build breaks that actually matter to other people
and the flow of development, then you want to test the the "main developer
platforms". And that's clearly not being done, when people managed to break
*my* main build 4 times in a single week, including thrice on a single day.

But the point is that we need to make a reasonable tradeoff between the
available build machines and the selection of targets. We don't have infinite
CPU cycles (especially for catalina-based builds) and free energy.

--
Реми Дёни-Курмон
http://www.remlab.net/