[vlc-devel] Support for Windows on Arm

Steve Lhomme robux4 at ycbcr.xyz
Fri Sep 9 08:29:26 UTC 2022

Hi,

On 2022-09-09 10:22, Pierrick Bouvier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm contacting you to talk about VLC support for Windows on Arm (arm64).
>
> At Linaro, the project https://www.linaro.org/windows-on-arm/ is working
> to enable open source projects for this platform.
> VLC being widely used is on our radar.
>
> It seems like an experimental build of vlc 4.0 was made in 2018, and is
> available from VLC Windows download page ("Windows ARM 64" variant).
>
> We would like to help creating up to date versions, to add same level of
> support than win32/win64 variants. Is there something blocking today
> (machine, support in vlc 3.0 branch)? How could we help?

VLC 4.0 should build out of the box for Windows ARM. It should build
like the other Windows targets except adding `-a aarch64` to build.sh.
It should work with the LLVM Dockers we use (or any llvm-mingw build).
Not sure there's mingw-w64 for ARM available.

There may be some contribs that don't build properly, for example Qt may
refuse to build or not understand what's going on. And if it builds it's
not 100% guaranteed to work. But we have Android and iOS stable builds
for arm64 that already validate a lot of our code.

> Notably, we have machines available Windows on Arm machines available in
> our lab and on Azure, if you are lacking them.

I have a machine to test. I just never took the time to work on it.