[vlc-devel] Support for Windows on Arm

Steve Lhomme robux4 at ycbcr.xyz
Fri Sep 9 09:03:38 UTC 2022

On 2022-09-09 10:52, Martin Storsjö wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2022, Pierrick Bouvier wrote:

>>> I dunno what that information that website is based on, but with
>>> upstream
>>> Qt (plain Qt Core) it has worked fine since around Qt 5.11 with
>>> llvm-mingw. Maybe it's based on what they have tested themselves?
>>>
>>> It runs just fine with the Qt backported patches in VLC's contrib, on
>>> both
>>> the 3.0.x and master branches.
>>>

>> We observed issues with previous version. For instance, with cmake-gui
>> that is crashing on startup. It's good to know it's working for VLC.
>
> Ok, that's good to know. FWIW, if there's an issue with older versions
> but which is fixed in newer ones, it's usually quite straightforward to
> do a reverse bisect to find out which commit fixed it, and then backport
> that one to the version of Qt that is used. (VLC carries half a dozen of
> backported Qt patches, for building the ancient Qt 5.6 with modern
> compilers.)
>
>> Officially, Qt is advertising support for Windows on Arm from Qt6 [1],
>> while Qt5 does not mention it [2]. In more, prebuilt versions are only
>> available since Qt6. Not every project builds Qt from source ;).
>
> Well the prebuilt binaries don't really help people in the mingw
> ecosystem anyway, as those are MSVC only. And in practice I don't know
> of any more concrete efforts from Qt's side here (but I may have missed
> something) other than doing regular builds of it. But for sure, newer
> versions generally do come with more fixes that need to be backported if
> using older versions.

BTW, I completely forgot that we do have windows ARM 64-bit building in
our CI already. But Qt is disabled and also mistakenly as a UWP build. I
can try to change it to a full desktop build and see how it goes.

https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/jobs/1134041