Task list for vlc 0.2

Samuel Hocevar sam at via.ecp.fr
Fri Aug 11 01:28:53 CEST 2000

   I think we can release version 0.2 of the vlc within a month, maybe
two. We should focus on stability, speed, and usability of already
existing features. New features such as DVD menus or MPEG4 codecs are
not really needed for a stable 0.2 release.

   I have set up a TODO list on the website with some tasks that anyone
can help with. Students at École Centrale who will be involved in the
project next year and plan to work on the client should have a look at
it, there is some easy stuff to do, which can be a good way to become
familiar with C coding, MPEG standards, or the vlc internals.

   Of course, coders from the outside are welcome to give a hand as
well. Actually we are in desperate need of external help, since our days
are only 24h long :) The TODO list can be found here :

      http://www.videolan.org/developers.html

   There is also a plain text version here :

      http://www.videolan.org/todo-vlc.text

   I will keep updating it with suggestions and bug reports.

   Note that task numbers have no meaning, you should just focus on the
"Urgency:" field. I think that we'll release 0.2 when all tasks with
urgency "Critical" and "Important" are done. I also put a "Difficulty:"
field to help you choosing. It's obviously a bit subjective, but you'll
understand why "Guru" tasks are a bit harder than the "Easy" ones.

   So, if any task inspires you, and you decide to have a look at it,
post on the list to make sure two people don't do the work twice.

Happy hacking,
Sam.
--
Samuel Hocevar <sam at via.ecp.fr> - http://www.via.ecp.fr/~sam/
     Do not try and fight the Cabal. That's impossible.