[ANN] vlc-0.1.99c

Samuel Hocevar sam at via.ecp.fr
Tue Jun 20 04:03:33 CEST 2000

   Following the "release often, release early" tradition, version
0.1.99c of the VideoLAN Client (vlc) is out. It is mainly a bugfix
release against 0.1.99b, mainly for the GGI and BeOS targets.

   From the ChangeLog :

 * fixed Makefile.in for debug version
 * caught Delete Window event in Gnome and X11 modes
 * fixed manpage
 * GGI output now works
 * fixed a segfault on exit for the Gnome plugin
 * fixed compile problems for BeOS
 * sound support almost works under BeOS
 * fixed a warning in ac3_exponent.c
 * automatic support for .rpm and .deb building

   You can download the new version via HTTP or FTP :

      http://www.videolan.org/download.html
      ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/0.1.99c/

   A few people reported that they were unable to play anything with the
client ; while we can't really help on configuring DVD players on exotic
configurations, we can provide you MPEG2 streams which we are sure work
with the vlc :

      ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/streams/

   Also, do not hesitate to report bugs or remarks to this list.

   As a side note, the VideoLAN team is currently looking for volunteers
to build Linux vlc packages for other architectures such as Alpha and
Sparc, or, even better, a way to automatize the build (a build daemon
or a secure remote shell on such a box). Anyone able to provide a BeOS
screenshot, or an 8 bpp screenshot, would help us a lot, too.

   I'd also be glad if anyone could report success or failure in
installing the new RPMs, since I built them with no knowledge of the
RedHat architecture and might have messed up some stuff.

   Planned for 0.1.99d :

 * separate packages for Gnome, X11, GGI targets
 * complete BeOS sound support
 * improved playlist handling
 * fixes in the interface display
 * BeOS and *BSD packages

For the VideoLAN team,
Sam.
--
Samuel Hocevar <sam at via.ecp.fr> - http://www.via.ecp.fr/~sam/
     Do not try and fight the Cabal. That's impossible.