, I've got some advice for you.

anonymous at advicebox.com anonymous at advicebox.com
Sat Apr 14 02:58:07 CEST 2001

An anonymous visitor stopped by Advicebox.com
and had the following comments for you:

Hey ,

hi all,  i just grabbed and installed the latest 2.71 client and noticed the following things. perhaps they may be useful to some people:  1) installation won't work with the latest (0.9-beta3) ALSA drivers. the make quits with a bunch of errors toward the end of compilation. however it is possible to use the newest ALSA stuff as follows:     -- install the stable ALSA 0.5.10 drivers     -- install videoLAN client (using ./configure --enable-alsa)     -- install the new ALSA 0.9-beta3 when i restarted, the videoLAN client worked fine, as did the new ALSA driver features (the 3D control in alsamixer is especially cool when watching movies with spatially "deep" audio, like the concert scenes in Almost Famous).  2) on my first try (./configure with no options, but with the ALSA 0.9-beta3 drivers in place) the client installed ok and started playing, but then 2 seconds later crashed the machine so hard that i couldn't recover (keyboard and mouse unresponsive, couldn't even force-quit the X server) and had to force a reboot -- first time that's happened for me since i started using linux over three years ago.  anyone else get this? (my config: RH 6.2, kernel 2.2.19, XFree86 3.3.6, SDL 1.2.0; Riva TNT2 video card)  now that i got the client to make, it plays beautifully -- much smoother than 0.2.70 on my machine, and no segfaults. way to go, guys!  -sm
- Anonymous

If you would like to respond to this email, please visit the Advicebox guestbook. The anonymous sender of this email will be checking for your response. http://www.advicebox.com/respond.htm
Advicebox.com
http://www.advicebox.com/