Still problems with vlc 0.2.72

PhiloVivero pvspam-dntrepl at hacklab.net
Sun Apr 22 06:28:04 CEST 2001

Geoff Eddy wrote:

> Silly question, but how do I kill esd? It doesn't show up when I do "ps" or
> "lsmod".

You're probably not running esd. Someone else mentioned 'arts' which I assume
is an esd-lookalike.

Let's settle this once and for all. Be root:

[root at sakura ~] # lsof | grep dsp
esd       1576 time    7w   CHR       14,3              64737 /dev/dsp0

Notice that the process 'esd' is holding open the file '/dev/dsp0' -- anything
holding open a /dev/dsp* is very probably holding open your sound device.

In this case, the thing is 'esd' on my system. Either vlc must be able to
communicate with esd (it can) to talk to the sound device, or esd must be
killed. Since I've built my own vlc without esd support, I actually have to
kill esd to hear anything.

On your system, maybe it's not 'esd' holding open the sound device or, even,
maybe nothing is and your sound is just somehow broken. You say you get sound
with other apps, so you almost certainly have some process doing this.

--
PhiloVivero