Strange stripes

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Wed Aug 8 13:06:55 CEST 2001

Hi,

vlc is getting better and better (currently I use 0.2.81,
since I cannot reach www.videolan.org to download
the new version).

Now, I can watch most of my DVDs without serious problems.
There are a few there one has to know the correct title and
chapter since otherwise vlc crashes on one of these
short initial parts of the DVD telling something about
copyright etc.

However, there is one DVD I cannot watch.
It is the special edition of "Independence Day" (RC 2).
First of all, I think that the main problem is that
one has to choose the version of the movie one
wants to see (cinema version or special extended version),
and one cannot do this with vlc. There are some small
parts of the movie one can see, but they show a very
strange behaviour: Whenever there is movement in the
shown image, the moving parts get blurred by
horizontal fuzzy stripes. I have not seen something like
this on any other DVD. My Windows DVD player can
play the DVD without problems.

Any ideas what could cause this? Can it be fixed?
Can it be fixed that one can see the whole movie?

Michael