vlc doesn't run on vanilla RH7.1

jon at tgpsolutions.com jon at tgpsolutions.com
Sun Aug 12 21:43:33 CEST 2001

Hi, I've recently switched from Windows to Linux (RedHat 7.1) and was trying to get DVD playback working when I came across your project.

I installed the 3 RPMs:
  vlc-0.2.81.1.i386.rpm
  libdvdcss-0.2.81.1.i386.rpm
  libdvdcss-devel-0.2.81.1.i386.rpm

Running vlc gives me the following:

[user at host user]$ vlc -vvv dvd:/dev/cdrom
VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.81 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001 VideoLAN

intf: playlist initialized
intf: added `dvd:/dev/cdrom' to playlist
module: checking built-in modules
module: new builtin module `es', ISO 13818-1 MPEG Elementary Stream input module
module: new builtin module `ps', ISO 13818-1 MPEG Program Stream input module
module: new builtin module `ts', ISO 13818-1 MPEG Transport Stream input module
module: new builtin module `yuv', YUV transformations module
module: new builtin module `idct', IDCT module
module: new builtin module `idctclassic', classic IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motion', motion compensation module
module: new builtin module `imdct', AC3 IMDCT module
module: new builtin module `downmix', AC3 downmix module
module: new builtin module `yuvmmx', MMX YUV transformations module
module: new builtin module `idctmmx', MMX IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motionmmx', MMX motion compensation module
module: new builtin module `idctmmxext', MMX EXT IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motionmmxext', MMX EXT motion compensation module
module: new builtin module `imdct3dn', 3D Now! AC3 IMDCT module
module: new builtin module `imdctsse', SSE AC3 IMDCT module
module: new builtin module `downmix3dn', 3D Now! AC3 downmix module
module: new builtin module `downmixsse', SSE AC3 downmix module
module: new builtin module `dvd', DVD input module, uses libdvdcss
module: new builtin module `dummy', dummy functions module
module: new builtin module `null', the Null module that does nothing
module: new builtin module `rc', remote control interface module
module: checking plugin modules
module: browsing `.'
module: browsing `plugins'
module: browsing `/usr/lib/videolan/vlc'
module: new plugin module `dsp', Linux OSS /dev/dsp module
module: new plugin module `esd', EsounD audio module
module: new plugin module `gnome', Gnome interface module
module: new plugin module `gtk', Gtk+ interface module
module: new plugin module `x11', X11 module
module: new plugin module `xvideo', XVideo extension module
module: module bank initialized
module: locking module `gnome'
intf: interface initialized
module: locking module `dvd'
dvd info: netlist initialized
ifo info: vmg initialized
dvd info: number of titles: 25
ifo info: vts 1 initialized
dvd: title 1 vts_title 1 pgc 1
module: locking module `downmix3dn'
module: locking module `imdct3dn'
module: locking module `motionmmxext'
module: locking module `idctmmxext'
vpar: no vout present, spawning one
module: locking module `xvideo'
vout info: asking for 720x576, 15/16 bpp (1440 Bpl)
intf info: menus refreshed as stream has changed
aout: no aout present, spawning one
module: locking module `dsp'
aout info: signed 16 bits stereo thread
aout info: audio output thread 8802 spawned
aout info: fifo #0 allocated, 2 channels, rate 0
Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x1083)!
vout error: no suitable Xvideo image input port
module: unlocking module `xvideo'
vpar error: can't open vout, aborting
module: hiding unused plugin module `gtk'
module: hiding unused plugin module `x11'
module: hiding unused plugin module `esd'
module: hiding unused plugin module `xvideo'

Then the program hangs.  I couldn't find a man page or any detailed descriptions of the input/output params on your web site, so could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

- Jon

note: running `vlc --novideo` works great, but what's the point of DVD if you can't see anything? ;)