DVD navigation

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Mon Aug 13 17:50:55 CEST 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 08:47:14AM -0700, Rob Cavicchio wrote:
> I have two questions to which I couldn't find answers in the documentation
> or on the Web site.

I'm not a vlc coders, just a long-time user, so take this with a grain
of salt:

> (1)  Are there any plans to support the DVD menus and other navigation
> features that come on most discs?  Right now if I play a disc it just plays
> the movie.

this is planned for the near future, but right now the only
navigational features are in the interface (right-click menu).

> (2)  One of my goals is to be able to play a DVD back on a system without
> any DVD drive installed (from the hard disk).  This works great if I open
> the VOB file directly, but if I use the "Open Disc" command and specify the
> device name e: (a local hard drive with the DVD structure in the root), then
> the software immediately crashes.  Is this an as-yet unsupported feature or
> a bug?

most likely a bug. however, when playing from disk, you will not want
to use the DISC interface, but the file one. in order to enjoy the full
DVD feature set (multiple languages etc) you will have to open the .ifo
and not the .vob files. however, I think vlc does not yet read the .ifo
files, so for now you can only play the .vob files directly.

--
-- http://web.lemuria.org