Still strange stripes

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Mon Aug 13 18:15:30 CEST 2001

Hi everybody,

just got vlc-0.2.82.
There are two issues:

1) "Independence Day (Special Edition)" for Region Code 2
   cannot be played. I can only access a small fraction of the
   movie. Also: Whenever there is movement in the scence,
   the moving parts get blurred by fuzzy horizontal stripes.
   It looks as if every other line is shifted a bit to the left or
   to the right respectively. As far as I can see, it only
   affects the moving, i.e. changing, parts in the image.
   This happens independently of the chosen video output
   so I guess it is a decoding problem.
   I have never encoutered anything like this with any other
   DVD. It happens in all versions of vlc I could test.

   In case it helps: ID4 is the only DVD I own where two
   versions of the same movie are somehow simultaneously
   encoded on the disk. Under Windows (or in a commercial
   DVD player for your TV set) you get a menu to choose
   between the version as seen in cinema, or a special
   version with additional scenes in it. Of course,
   I cannot make this choice with vlc, and maybe this has
   something to do with it.

2) The configure script still is unable to correctly locate
   SDL. Mine is installed under the /usr/X11R6 tree.
   Unfortunately, the little test programs to check for
   SDL are all compiled with -I/usr/local only. Somehow,
   the information from sdl-config (which is found) is not
   used correctly.

Otherwise really great work,
since ID4 is the only DVD I cannot play.

Michael