DVD navigation

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Mon Aug 13 18:34:50 CEST 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001, Rob Cavicchio wrote:

> (1)  Are there any plans to support the DVD menus and other navigation
> features that come on most discs?  Right now if I play a disc it just plays
> the movie.

   Yes. vlc will probably use the Ogle project's libdvdread, which does
full DVD navigation.

> (2)  One of my goals is to be able to play a DVD back on a system without
> any DVD drive installed (from the hard disk).  This works great if I open
> the VOB file directly, but if I use the "Open Disc" command and specify the
> device name e: (a local hard drive with the DVD structure in the root), then
> the software immediately crashes.  Is this an as-yet unsupported feature or
> a bug?

   It is an unsupported feature. The DVD input module (or to be more
specific, the libdvdcss dvdcss_open() call) expects a DVD device,
containing a UDF filesystem. Your local hard drive contains a FAT32
filesystem.

   AFAIK, support for a directory containing a DVD structure isn't
planned yet.

Regards,
--
Sam.