DVD navigation

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Mon Aug 13 19:05:20 CEST 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001, Rob Cavicchio wrote:

> Why do you say you would have to use the file interface from a hard disk?
> My thought is to copy all the .ifo files as well as the .vob files to hard
> disk, so the same information should be available.

   It's not that simple. For example, the .ifo files store position of
the titles using their byte offset in the DVD device; vlc just seek()s
at this position to go to the beginning of the file. If you store .ifo
and .vob files in a directory, there is no reason why the file should
still be contiguous, and this offset information becomes useless.

   There are other ways to do it, though, and though it would require
some amounts of additional code, it's not impossible to implement a
different method into vlc or libdvdcss so that it supports reading from
a directory.

--
Sam.