VLC + ATI +WIN2k

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Mon Aug 13 20:04:49 CEST 2001

On Monday 13 August 2001 6:49 pm, Case, Benjamin wrote:
> I have a P3/450 w 372 mb RAM, and  ATI All in Wonder Rage 128 Pro, running
> on Win2000 Advanced Server with SP2 and Directx8a installed. Playback is
> choppry and slow tih VLC. Any suggestions ? I have tried both video drivers
> supplied by ATI for this card in 2000.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to improve the speed of VLC. The
Win32 version is noticeably slower than it's Linux counterpart, and I don't
really know why ( It won't be easy to find out why until I have profiling
working under win32, anybody knows how to do this with mingw32? )

But you can still check that VLC is using DirectX overlay mode to display
video. Run "vlc -vvv --stdout debug.txt", play just a few seconds of video
and exit from vlc. After that, edit debug.txt and check that you've got the
line: "DirectX YUV overlay created successfully"
If you don't have it, I would be interested in having a look at this debug
file.

Anyway, a few speed improvements should make their way soon into vlc.

--
Gildas