VLC + ATI +WIN2k

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Tue Aug 14 20:23:49 CEST 2001

On Tuesday 14 August 2001 6:11 pm, Rob Cavicchio wrote:

> I also noticed that playback was rather slow in Windows, so I ran this test.
> Instead of "DirectX YUV overlay created successfully," I got "vout error:
> can't create YUV overlay surface."  I'm attaching the debug.txt file.
>
> Incidentally, I'm running an older version of DirectX (looks like 4.x), so
> maybe that's the problem?
>

> vout: DirectXCreateSurface
> vout: Dx Caps: overlay=1 colorkey=1 stretch=1
> vout error: can't create YUV overlay surface.
> vout: DirectX RGB surface created successfully

I'm not actually sure that the problem comes from the version of directx you
are using because the only thing that is not working is the creation of the
overlay.
Before creating the YUV overlay, we check if the card supports overlays
(debug line with Dx Caps) and your card supports this. But the thing we
cannot check is which kind of overlay it supports. So the reason why you
can't use an overlay with vlc might be because your card doesn't support
""YUV"" overlays.

Needless to say, without YUV overlay support, VLC will be painfully slow.

I would be interested in knowing if I guessed well. I will try to find the
specifications of your graphics card on the web.

By the way I can't seem to remember if a directx4 ever existed, didn't it go
directly from ver3 to ver5 ?
Anyway a directx upgrade won't do any harm (which windows are you using ?)

--
Gildas