Expected performance?

David Gómez davidge at jazzfree.com
Wed Aug 15 22:57:45 CEST 2001

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Rich Birch wrote:

Hi,

I also have a Voodoo3 and a Pentium III. Installing XFree86 4.1 i managed
to get XVideo working, but for me that doesn't make a difference, it's
same that x11 plugin. video has good quality but is loosing frames and
it's not smooth. I think the problem is with XFree86 tdfx drivers.

Some people with nvidia or ati get smooth video playing, but anyone with
v3??

> I have a PIII 500 with 394Mb and a Voodoo 3 2000 AGP, RH7.1 & XFree86 4.1. I can play my dvd's which is a good start! I'm just wondering if the video should run smooth on my hardware, as at the moment it runs quite jerky. It's watchable, and a damn sight better than VIVID, but still annoying. I've read that with 0.2.82 Xvideo is default output, then SDL and failing that x11. Mine always goes to x11, and if i try --vout SDL or xvideo then it just crashes when i try playing. I'm fairly sure xvideo is enabled. Are there issues with my video card?
>
> Any info would be greatly appreciated

David Gómez

"The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of
 whether submarines can swim." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra