Added VIS acceleration to the client

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Sun Dec 2 22:17:47 CET 2001

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001, Michael Simone wrote:

> I have added VIS acceleration to the client code which I downloaded from
> your website. I am unsure as to how to send you back the changes so that
> you can incorporate them into your build tree.

   Hi Michael, this is really excellent news!

   A "diff -urN" output is probably the most suitable patch format, you
can upload it to ftp://ftp.videolan.org/incoming/ or send it to me for
instance.

> Tests that I have done show that a 640x480 mpeg2 ps stream will playback
> at a rate of 80 fps on an Ultra 80/450 Mhz cpu. I have not tried this
> yet on a SunBlade 1000, nor have I added any of the compiler options
> that would optimize the code for a Sun box. I will add these feature
> later if you wish.

   As long as the options don't result in binaries which will no longer
work on some CPUs, we'll add them to the makefile. Otherwise, maybe it
would be better to let the user add them himself, but still keeping the
information in the vlc documentation.

   Also, did you add code to src/interface/main.c to detect a VIS-aware
CPU, or do all Sparc processors have this feature?

Regards,
--
Sam.