Test

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Wed Dec 5 03:05:31 CET 2001

Hi Doug!

That sounds really interesting.

> For those of you still having trouble with VLC on notebooks, I
> downloaded xine (xine.sourceforge.net) and it plays VERY smoothly.

Here, my problem starts. I never could get xine running
on my notebook (A20p thinkpad) using the xvideo extension.
I don't know what they do, but it is the only program I ever
encountered which was not able to work with my xvideo extension.
For example, vlc works just great with xvideo. The problem
must have to do with hardware (ATI rage 128 mobility), since
it persists now through many versions of xine / X11 / kernel / distro ...
I must admit I never tried to use the Gatos drivers, since for all
other apps I use, the generic Xfree 4.1.0 is just fine.

> I did have to install their build of libdvdcss and oss. Then, I ran VLC
> and IT played smoothly! There is something about the versions of oss and
> dvdcss I have...me thinks...

Could this have to do with the implementation of threading?

In my case alsa would be better. Any experience of the
same kind for alsa instead of oss - or would your observation
hold for oss emulation of alsa as well? I actually could switch to
oss since my newest linux install, but alsa seems to work
better for most other things.

Michael