DVD ioctls error message

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sat Dec 8 12:52:41 CET 2001

On Thursday 06 December 2001 19:02, Patrick Dugal wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> Thanks for responding with something interesting.  I was able to read files
> from the DVD but vlc failed to start up.
>
> From their support web site:
> http://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/releasenotes_ws3.html
>
> Support available for DVD-ROM
> - You can read data from DVD-ROM discs in a default configuration.
>
> Experimental support available for multisession CD-ROMs
> -You can read multisession CD-ROM discs using the raw access mode. Use the
> Configuration Editor (Settings > Configuration Editor) to set your virtual
> DVD/CD-ROM drive to use this mode.
>
> Does this mean that direct access is allowed?  Is there a simple .c program
> that I can run to check?  Can someone send it to me?

I found out that vmware workstation doesn't support playing DVD movies (look
at http://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/ws30_disks3.html#1008260).
I guess it's because they don't support IOCTLs for DVD drives and vlc needs
to use them in order to decrypt DVDs.

So I guess your only chance would be to use non-encrypted DVDs (I think there
is a list of unencrypted DVDs available on the market on videlan web site)

--
Gildas