Videolan for Windows does not work

Jeffrey Cobb cdoc2000 at mediaone.net
Thu Dec 13 00:07:47 CET 2001

Hi Sean,

One thing I discovered with most of these programs is you have to compile
them for your machine.  Video Lan is the only one I've gotten to work for
me.

Here's the options I use when I put Video Lan together:

You need these files:
vlc-0.2.91.tar.gz
libdvdread-0.9.2.tar.gz
sdl-1.2.3.tar.gz

Extract these files (they'll most likely create their own directories).

Install libdvdread first by switching to its directory and typing:
./configure
make
make install

Install sdl the same way.

Install Video Lan Client like so:
./configure --prefix=/usr --with-sdl-config-path=/usr/bin --enable-gnome
make vlc
make install

You can run Video Lan from console by typing "vlc".  If it works then you
can create a shortcut to your desktop for it.

When you run Video Lan you need to click "disk" then type in the drive that
is your dvd drive.  Most likely your's is listed in "/etc/fstab" as "cdrom"
or something like that.  I've configured my block devices to have my dvd
drive show up as "dvd".  VLC works fine with this.

Anyway, if you can get the program to run after compiling it, you're halfway
there!

Lemme know how it goes.

Jeff