Using DVD without root.

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sat Dec 15 11:24:28 CET 2001

On Friday 14 December 2001 19:52, Jeffrey Cobb wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed I can't use the player to play DVDs when I'm logged in as a
> regular user.  I have to log in as root to watch a show.  I've attempted to
> change the ownership of the device in fstab, I can mount it now but I still
> can't "play" it.
>
> Any idea what I need to change?

You need to check that you've got write access to your DVD device.
(eg. chmod 666 /dev/hdc)

Changing your fstab won't do any good because vlc must acess the device
directly and not the mounted filesystem. The reason for this is to be able to
use IOCTLs on the DVD drive for decryption.
( btw, I think all this was explained in the FAQ :)

--
Gildas