Xine/vlc [was: How to turn plugin support off?]

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Thu Feb 15 04:39:15 CET 2001

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001, Lavallée Marc wrote:

> B.T.W. I must admit that Xine still gives me a better result than vlc,
> at least on my system, and whith the only decent VOB trailer I found.

   Did you use hardware acceleration with vlc, by pressing 'y' ? I'm
surprised there is such a noticeable difference.

> How do you (honestly) find Xine compared to vlc?

   Xine is quite impressive because it has a lot of features, but it
looks to me like a quick hack around mpeg2dec. vlc isn't as nice but has
stuff like audio/video synchronization, network input, fast forward,
seeking.

   Both have their strong points, so it'll eventually be up to the
users to choose. I think diversity and competition are excellent in the
OpenSource world, and it's motivating to have competition as good as the
Xine developers. Not to forget oms which is in a near-release state as
well.

--
Sam.