vlc immediate segfault

Matthew Gabeler-Lee msg2 at po.cwru.edu
Thu Feb 15 18:17:03 CET 2001

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Christophe Massiot wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 15, 2001, Matthew Gabeler-Lee wrote:
>
> > vlc segfaults immediately on loading on my system.  Redhat 6.2, dual
> > p3/700.  It doesn't seem to like loading any of its plugins.  This
> > happens with 0.2.60 and with the current CVS.
>
> Did you "make install" ?

Yes, got basically the same error, just different path to the .so

> > Cannot access memory at address 0x40567e84
> > (gdb) bt
> > #0  _dl_debug_state () at dl-debug.c:56
>
> I get that one quite often, I haven't understood exactly what happens,
> but this is a decoy. Typing "cont" will lead you to the _real_
> segfault :-).

Well, after a cvs up, make, make install, it seems to work now!

So now when I stick in my Contact dvd, it pops up the window shoing the
intro menu screen, which is flickering like mad, then after a couple
seconds it goes to the movie, which plays fairly smoothly.  However,
there are remants of the instro menu still flickering in the black
border below (and only below) the movie.

Now that I can start playing, I don't get any audio on the Contact dvd,
but I do get audio for The Witches of Eastwick.

Using the SDL output gets rid of the weird flickering intro title on
Contact.

The contact dvd also spews tons of messages like these:
vpar error: skipped macroblock in I-picture
PES trashed - fifo full !
vpar error: DCT coeff (intra) is out of bounds

--
	-Matt

I'm a creationist; I refuse to believe
that I could have evolved from man.