[ANN] vlc 0.2.62

Zenja Solaja solaja at ali.com.au
Wed Feb 21 22:46:26 CET 2001

Hi Christophe and the VideoLan team.  I've got more info on my m2v video
clip (I've sent a dump of error messages to Chris's personal  email address
to keep things off the list).  The problem I had was that the first 10
seconds or so of a custom made m2v would play, and then nothing.  After
using the --warn 0 parameter and paying more attention to my video, I
noticed the following:
- The video has my custom made title (8 seconds), CPU usage 100%, and then
the screen fades to black.
- The original video should now display a fade in and my Las Vegas video.
- I then start getting warning messages like "warning: late picture skipped
(0x8008569c)" I get a couple hundred of these.
- The sound plays normally, while the CPU meter drops to around 20%.  The
screen is still black.
- After roughly 90 seconds of a black screen, video mysteriously re-appears,
full of dynamic videos.
- The warning messages stop.
- The video plays as well as it can until I reach the last 10 seconds.  My
video finishes with a fade out (black screen), and then a closing credits
screen appears (fade in).
- VideoLan again starts displaying the warning messages, and the video
remains black.
- The m2v file finishes, the video restarts and video reappears again.

Conclusion - when the video source fades to black, and then fades in again,
thats when I get the warning messages.  Thats when the video stops being
drawn - obviously the transition from black to colourful screen confuses the
DELTA compression algorithm (or similar, I have no idea what compression
techniques you use but I assume that the difference between frames (delta)
is compressed, and after a black screen / full colour screen the
decompressor is overwhelemed and starts dropping frames (since it cannot
reconstruct the video).  After 90 seconds the decompressor finally catches
up and video reappears.  Thats my LAME guess).

Otherwise, you guys/gals have done an excellent job, and my promise to treat
you all to beer still stands.
Cheers :-)

----------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This email is intended only to be read or used by the addressee.
The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference
with, distribution, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised
and prohibited. Confidentiality attached to this communication is not waived
or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery to you.

If you have received this message in error, please delete it and notify us
by return e-mail or telephone Aristocrat Technologies Australia Pty Limited
on +61 2 9413 6300.