GUI for BeOS

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Sat Feb 24 12:28:34 CET 2001

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001, Tony Castley wrote:

> 	I am writing a simple GUI for vlc on BeOS.  Can you let me know if I am
> treading on any toes.  (ie someone else doing it).  If not I may be able
> to supply a reasonable interface in one or two days..

   If anyone is working on it, it's Jean-Marc "Polux" Dressler
(polux at via.ecp.fr), but last time I saw him he was more into trying to
get overlay support working, so I think you can safely start working on
the interface. Maybe Polux will have more information on the issue.

   A few hints, which you may or may not find useful depending on your
skills and current knowledge of the vlc structure:

  - the most important parts to get working are, in my mind, the slide
bar and the toolbox (or a menu) with at least the "pause" feature.

  - the parts of the source code you will have to deal with are in
include/beos_window.h (which I think should be eventually moved to
plugins/beos/) and plugins/beos/intf_beos.cpp.

  - for description of what your interface callbacks should do,
you may want to have a look at plugins/gnome/gnome_callbacks.c and
plugins/gnome/intf_gnome.c.

  - someone on #beos told me about the importance of font-sensitivity in
BeOS interfaces. I don't know how people usually deal with this issue,
but I consider it quite important as well.

   For further discussion on the subject, I suggest switching to the
vlc-devel mailing-list.

Thanks a lot for your help !
Regards,
--