Sound

Renaud Dartus reno at via.ecp.fr
Mon Feb 26 10:44:12 CET 2001

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001, Gunther Hermann wrote:
> I read a few mails on vlc concerning sound, so maybe
> my experiences interest you.

Yes sure ;) We are always pleased with users' experiences

> Concerning sound I observed the following quirks:
> (1) Sound can be shaky (frequencies go up and down).
> (2) Channel mixing fucked up
> (3) Noise.
>
> To (1):
> Sound was OK when using the alsa plugin or when unloading
> the alsa sound drivers and loading the kernel es1371
> driver, then running vlc without plugin.

I don't use alsa. But if you have alsa drivers installed you have to use
alsa plugin too.

> To (2):
> when playing DVD's, right from the start I noticed that
> all dialogues where bound to the right channel

Yes, it's buggy, i'm currently working on it.

> To (3):
> when 'pumping up the volume' I noticed quite a noise

I think the noise is produced by the coefficient for amplification
called VOLUME_DEFAULT, could you try by changing it in
include/config.h.in to 256. (Don't forget to run ./configure)

Cordially
--
Reno