Jerky playback

Chris Jensen christopher.jensen at studentmail.newcastle.edu.au
Sun Jul 8 02:02:45 CEST 2001

> Try fiddling with hdparm to speed up the dvd:
> /sbin/hdparm -c1d1A1a128 /dev/dvd

These are already enabled, except for read ahead which gives the following
error when I try to set it
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(setreadahead) failed: Input/output error

However I don't think it's a problem with reading from the drive, as I said
the drive lights indicate it's only being accessed about 50-75% as much as
it could be when playing. Also I have found that I am able to get very few
frames dropped when playing in 16bpp depth.

> You might want to use this together with: nice -n vlc --yuv yuv -V sdl
> -I gnome

(you seem to have left out a nice value. I've tried various negative numbers
but they don't seem to help, and sometimes actually increased the number of
frames skipped)
I doubt it would make any difference as there are no other processes active
when I try to play the DVD, and the processor is already down to about 1% to
5% idle time. With 70% user time and 27% nice. This time is being taken up
by X and two vlc processes.
Also I can only use -V x11 as sdl and xvideo seg fault.

Chris Jensen