FreeBSD and ports vs. vlc

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Tue Jul 10 20:30:48 CEST 2001

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 07:55:17PM +0200, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:41:33 -0400
> Alan Shutko <ats at acm.org> wrote:
>
> > If they break the interfaces that other programs depend on, isn't that
> > their problem?
>
> Possible, I wouldn't know. I'm just reporting that vlc doesn't compile
> out-of-the-box on FreeBSD.

FreeBSD's ports collection installs the devel/beta versions of these
packages in a way that allows you to keep the stable versions installed.

If you want to push the bleeding edge, you can do it.  But the default is
going to be stable.

--
Scott Lambert                          Unix SysAdmin -- Looking for work.
lambert at lambertfam.org     http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html