Haunting bug in DVD subtitle handling [long]

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sun Jul 15 10:24:27 CEST 2001

On Sunday 15 July 2001 12:18 am, Stepan Roh wrote:

> I tried to debug it, so I've build a debug version of vlc (./configure
> --enable-debug). It crashed almost immediately after movie started
> somewhere in signal handling ("unknown signal ?" and then "segmentation
> fault"). I found a combination ./configure --enable-debug
> --disable-optimizations --disable-ppro --disable-mmx which produced
> running (but very slow) debug version of vlc (those --disable-* options
> are not needed if I don't want to debug). I tried launching of vlc from
> within gdb, but using gdb-4.38 it completely frozed vlc gtk interface when
> movie was running (was still running even after froze) and using gdb-5.0
> it said :
>
> [New Thread 2049 (LWP 31044)]
> [New Thread 1026 (LWP 31045)]
> [New Thread 2051 (LWP 31046)]
> [New Thread 3076 (LWP 31047)]
> [New Thread 4101 (LWP 31048)]
> [New Thread 5126 (LWP 31049)]
> [New Thread 6151 (LWP 31050)]
> ptrace: No such process.

I cannot help you to solve this subtitles problem (sam is the SPU expert :-)
but I just wanted to report that I also have problems running vlc under
GDB-5.0.
The problem is related to the sdl library (bug ?), and just compiling VLC
without sdl support (./configure --without-sdl --enable-debug) solves the
problem.

--
Gildas