Newbie DVD questions

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Fri Jul 20 19:39:49 CEST 2001

On Friday 20 July 2001 5:42 pm, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
> Salut!
>
> I just subscribed to the list, and imagine my surprise when I had over 100
> messages in my Inbox this morning!  My questions are very basic.  I just got
> an old IBM Thinkpad 600e with DVD.  I am installing Redhat Linux 7.1 on this
> machine, and I was wondering if I would be able to watch DVDs on it.  Do I
> need a hardware acceleration card or similar to watch movies, or will this
> software be able to work?  Are there any tips or tricks that I need to be
> aware of in setting things up on this laptop?

You don't really need any hardware acceleration to watch a DVD with vlc, as
vlc is able to decode everything in software. But if you want to have a high
quality video output, you really need a graphics card which supports hardware
acceleration under Xfree4.0.x. For this, check if your graphics card supports
the Xvideo extension of Xfree.
Using the Xvideo plugin of vlc will speed-up the frame-rate but also enable
interpolation of the video when rescaling (eg: fullscreen). This produces a
better looking video.

Bonne chance ;-)

--
Gildas