Non CSS scrambled discs?

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sat Jul 21 13:18:17 CEST 2001

On Saturday 21 July 2001 3:08 am, Bruce Garlock wrote:
> I wrote a week or so about not being able to play one of my DVD's under
> vlc, which XINE will play fine.  Since I never installed a decss plugin
> for XINE, and it plays this DVD that vlc will not, wouldn't that mean
> that the DVD is not scrambled?  If so, why wouldn't vlc play this DVD?

It could well be a problem in VLC's IFO parser ( DVDs have *.ifo files which
contains information about the content of the DVD ). I know that I've got one
DVD ( Walt Disney's Tarzan, collector's edition Zone 1 ) for which VLC cannot
understand the ifo files.

You may be able to check that if you enable the debug messages (-vvvvvvv),
(you can send the log to this list).

But in your case, if the DVD is not scrambled, you should be able to mount
it, and ask VLC to play the *.vob files (with the File menu).

--
Gildas