How to set permissions for playing encrypted DVDs when using devfs?

Matti Airas mairas at iki.fi
Sat Jul 28 21:00:34 CEST 2001

Hi,

I just installed vlc 0.2.81 from the Debian packages. When run as
root, the player works perfectly. However, nothing happens when I try
to play the DVD as a regular user. I assume this happens because the
user does not have sufficient permissions to write to the dvd device.

How can I change the device file permissions so that I have write
access to the DVD? I can change the group of the DVD device normally,
but nothing happens if I try to give the group write permissions (the
permissions remain as they were, and chmod returns with no error). I
assume this has something to do with devfs I'm using. I tried to set
device permissions by editing /etc/devfs/devfsd.conf (or actually by
making a conf file to /etc/devfs/conf.d), but restarting devfsd didn't
seem to have any effect.

How?

Regards,

--
Matti Airas               Oratory, Dolch, d, NOCS, MI5, $400 million
mairas at iki.fi             in gold bullion, NARF, CIM, Global, ISS-ADP,