[ANN] vlc 0.2.81

Craig Orsinger cjorsinger at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 28 23:42:09 CEST 2001

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Samuel Hocevar wrote:
> Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 08:26:35 +0200
> To: vlc at videolan.org
> From: Samuel Hocevar <sam at zoy.org>
> Sender: vlc-bounce at videolan.org
> Subject: Re: [ANN] vlc 0.2.81
>
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2001, Scott Lambert wrote:
[snip]

>    Are you using a laptop ? This behaviour can be worked
> around by
> maximizing the window before switching to full screen, or
> launching vlc
> with flags such as "--width 1024 --height 768".
>
>    As for audio synchronization, I'm surprised there is a
> difference
> between xvideo and sdl. Maybe it's because SDL windows takes
> longer to
> be spawned; but it should quickly resynchronize.

     I wrote this script a month or two ago to get around this
issue.
It uses SDL, and tries to ensure that esound isn't running (I
use
GNOME as my desktop) so that the sound will be synchronized with
the video. It automatically determines the size of the X desktop
using
'xdpyinfo', so it should work for any similar setup, even if the
screen
resolution is different.

     Incidently, I've noticed that if I use this script (or the
--height/--width
command line switches) the picture looks much better. It appears
to me
that it is anti-aliased when it is really using the full screen,
but not
otherwise. My normal display resolution is 1152x864, in case
that
makes a difference.

     Here's the script. Just save this message, then edit it so
the first
line is the "#!/bin/sh" line, and the last is the "### end of
.." line. Use
'chmod +x vlc_dvd' to set execute permissions, and put the
script
somewhere in your path.

     You can select a particular title by invoking the script
this way:

vlc_dvd -t <title #>

#!/bin/sh

# vlc_dvd.sh - play a DVD in fullscreen mode using VLC on a
GNOME
#              system.

# NOTE: SDL is required. You probably don't want to use vlc in
x11
#       or xview fullscreen mode, anyway.

# Find out how big our screen is.
hw=`xdpyinfo | grep dimensions | awk '{ print $2 }'`
height=`echo $hw | cut -f2 -d'x'`
width=`echo $hw | cut -f1 -d'x'`
echo Screen width and height seem to be $width and $height

# First, kill off esd because it's too slow and we can't ignore
it
# for some reason
killall esd

# Now, startup vlc before GNOME has a chance to restart esd
vlc --aout dsp --vout sdl --fullscreen --width $width --height
$height dvd:/dev/dvd $*

### end of "vlc_dvd" ###