limited playback due to slow machine?

Matthew Kenworthy mak at as.arizona.edu
Mon Jul 30 10:11:12 CEST 2001

Hi there,

A friend recommended the vlc player to me and I've been playing around
with various options trying to get the playback to run smoothly. I have a
Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop, 366MHz with 128Mb, and an ATI Rage Pro card in
it. I have libdvdcss 0.0.2 and vlc 0.2.81 compiled with everything as an
include, no plugins.

Although there is a Windows player that works smoothly, is this system too
slow for Linux playback? I've tried twiddling hdparms of my /dev/dvd but
no luck. Audio is fine but picture has 3Hz jerked images to it.

Anyone who's got a I7000 laptop to work smoothly with this?

Thanks for an impressive project!

Matt

--
Center for Astronomical Adaptive Optics, Steward Observatory