[ANN] vlc 0.2.81

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Mon Jul 30 14:00:45 CEST 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001, PhiloVivero wrote:

> >    Looks like a problem with your xvideo installation ; however I have
> > no idea what could be going wrong. Maybe someone with the same video
> > card will have more information.
>
> What does it mean if SDL works, but xvideo doesn't work?

SDL doesn't need YUV overlay to operate, it can also do software rendering.
Xvideo can't. Check your console and see if vlc talks about some
"YUV optimization". Upgrade to the latest XFree86 and see if your video
board is supported.

> And, playing a DVD still trashes the filesystem cache (ie: eats up all RAM).
> I tried binding /dev/dvd to a raw device, but selecting the raw device via VLC
> does nothing. VLC perhaps thinks it's not a DVD device and thus ignores my
> attempts to play it?

Is it VLC or libdvdcss ? Remember libdvdcss needs a phas of key negociation
with the drive, and that requires certain ioctl() on the device, so it
may break here.

> Raw device documentation claims that you have to speak with a raw device using
> full-sector addressing, so maybe this is the problem?

I have no idea what it means. Can't we just lseek() ?

> 0. After RAM gets filled up, the video gets choppy, sometimes pausing up to
> three seconds while the filesystem thrashes. So far as I can tell, this is
> only because the filesystem buffer is full, not any bug in VLC.

Did you try turning on DMA ?

> 1. Although video is fine (until RAM runs out) and sound is fine, they're
> almost never in sync. Off by 1/4 to 1/2 second. Watching dialogue is painful.
> And it's always speeding up/slowing down because music is off-tune and pretty
> bad.

> And, just an aside, what's the story for supporting DXR/3 or Hollywood video
> hardware? The website mentions support is forthcoming. Is it a scheduled
> project?

As far as I know, no one is working on this at present.

--
Christophe Massiot.