More about XVideo

Jeremy Bailin jbailin at as.arizona.edu
Tue Jul 31 02:49:47 CEST 2001

> So, where is the bottleneck, where frames are lost? This is the vlc output
> when playing some dvd:
> [...]
> vout warning: late picture skipped (0x81a8be8)
>
> mpeg2 decompression has good quality, but it's not smooth, around every
> second or you can notice leaps in the frames. I have a pIII and enough ram
> so i don't think is that.

Could be the DVD drive. Is DMA enabled? (do an hdparm /dev/dvd).

> Now, to everyone in the list, has anybody achieve _really_ smooth dvd
> playing with vlc ? and if so, which videocard/vlc config were you using?

My laptop is smooth except during very fast sequences. Dell Inspiron 4000,
ATI Rage 128 Mobility, XFree 4.0.3 with the r128 driver out of the box,
using the SDL plugin (and gnome interface). Sound is in perfect synch.
Subtitles don't work, and xvideo on its own crashes (though SDL is
certainly using the xv extensions), but otherwise things are good. :-)=

--
Jeremy Bailin            / "We have found that certain styles of
jbailin at as.arizona.edu  |  Haggar slacks actually grow *more*