limited playback due to slow machine?

Sean C. Payne scpayne at digital.net
Tue Jul 31 00:33:38 CEST 2001

On 30 Jul 2001 19:35:19 +0100, Gildas Bazin wrote:
> On Monday 30 July 2001 9:11 am, Matthew Kenworthy wrote:
> >
> > A friend recommended the vlc player to me and I've been playing around
> > with various options trying to get the playback to run smoothly. I have a
> > Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop, 366MHz with 128Mb, and an ATI Rage Pro card in
> > it. I have libdvdcss 0.0.2 and vlc 0.2.81 compiled with everything as an
> > include, no plugins.
> >
> > Although there is a Windows player that works smoothly, is this system too
> > slow for Linux playback? I've tried twiddling hdparms of my /dev/dvd but
> > no luck. Audio is fine but picture has 3Hz jerked images to it.
> >

> The only way you can have "acceptable" performance with your system, would be
> to use vlc's Xvideo plugin. But to be able to use this plugin, you need XFree
> 4 and a driver for your graphics card that supports the Xvideo extension (
> don't know if one exists for the ATI Rage Pro )

    I'm using 0.2.80 on the same model laptop (though with 256mb of
    RAM).  I have Mandrake 8 and upgraded to XFree86 4.1, so yes the ATI
    Rage Mobility chipset does have support.  With 0.2.80 there are
    numerous segfaults and there are frame drops, though not to bad.
    Once the .src.rpms are available for 0.2.81 I'll upgrade and see if
    it helps...

/Sean C. Payne