vlc is segfaulting after approx. 2 secs

Steve Brown sbrown at cortland.com
Tue Jun 5 12:58:58 CEST 2001

Same experience with 0.2.80.

This has been happening to me too since shortly after 0.2.73. The
location of the segfault isn't repeatable.

It now seems associated with imdctsse. If I run (0.2.80) with --imdct
imdct, the problem goes away. I looked at the sse code, but this is way
over my head.

The above was run using --vout x11 --aout dsp --yuv yuv --intf gtk
--imdct imdct -vvvv. My log looks a lot like yours.

When run with xvideo, I get a BadShmSeg error. The same is true for
0.2.73. I first suspected my xvideo installation, but other players
(xine) work.

I think the real problem is some subtle memory corruption unrelated to
any of the above.

If there is anything I can do to help track this down, let me know.

Steve