compiling 0.2.80

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Tue Jun 5 14:53:55 CEST 2001

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 01:06:07PM +0200, Samuel Hocevar wrote:
> > debian system (woody)
> >
> > got trouble compiling the alsa support. I have alsa 0.5.10b6 installed
>
>    vlc now needs alsa 0.9, try to install libasound2-dev.

I had to manually install the alsa-headers since it doesn't seem to be
in woody (packages.debian.org says it's in unstable, which I think is
sid by now).

after that, everything worked fine for the compile.

playing a movie resulted in:

Aout_alsa: error opening alsa device in aout_probe(-500000) : Sound
protocol is not compatible

this happened for both 48000 and 44100 hz, 8 and 16 bit and mono and
stereo. also, interestingly, it happens when I choose "dsp" instead of
"alsa" as the output mode.

check: recompiling vlc again with --disable-alsa and then playing the
same dvd - same problem. so it seems this is an alsa prob.

check: quake3 - works fine.

--
-- http://web.lemuria.org