Illegal Instruction in 0.2.80

Edouard Lafargue edouard.lafargue at london.omnes.slb.com
Wed Jun 6 11:33:03 CEST 2001

  I just tried the new 0.2.80 version of Videolan. It looks very promising, esp. with the new preferences dialog and all, but unfortunately I also get this "Illegal Instruction" error, about three frames after the start of DVDs:

gryffindor:vlc-0.2.80 75>vlc
VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.80 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001 VideoLAN

zsh: illegal hardware instruction  vlc
(132)gryffindor:vlc-0.2.80 76>

  Not very detailed, but a more detailed debug output does not give any more clue. I saw in the mailing list that other people are experiencing this.

  Here are the details of my laptop:

  * VLC: standard .deb packages distributed on the web site for 0.2.80

  * /proc/cpuinfo:

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 8
model name	: Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping	: 3
cpu MHz		: 648.015
cache size	: 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
sep_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr xmm
bogomips	: 1294.33

  * Kernel 2.2.19
  * Debian, current unstable branch

   Any clue on what's going on ?

Edouard

PS: and yes, VCD support, would be good, VCDs are still very current in south-east Asia...