Illegal Instruction in 0.2.80

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Wed Jun 6 14:33:07 CEST 2001

Renaud Dartus wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 06, 2001, Edouard Lafargue wrote:
> >   I just tried the new 0.2.80 version of Videolan. It looks very promising, esp. with the new preferences dialog and all, but unfortunately I also get this "Illegal Instruction" error, about three frames after the start of DVDs:
>
> > model name    : Pentium III (Coppermine)
> > flags         : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr xmm
>
> > Kernel : 2.2.19
>
> Your kernel doesn't support sse. You should try 2.4.5 and enable PIII
> optimizations or try ./vlc --imdct imdct --downmix downmix

I have the same problem, and as I wrote in an earlier email,
I already figuered out myself that it had to do with sse.
However, using the above options
does not really help. Doing this helps for a few seconds, but then
I get this error "PES trashed - decoder fifo full !". I haven't had
that problem with version 0.2.73.

Michael