Problems with vlc 0.2.80

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed Jun 27 20:07:38 CEST 2001

Michael Flohr Wrote:

> 3.) Xvideo:
>    vlc runs quite ok with the sdl video plugin, but
>    preformance is much much better with the xvideo
>    plugin. However, the probability of crash increases
>    dramatically using xvideo plugin. Starting a dvd
>    lets vlc open an audio and a video output. As soon
>    as the xvideo window pops up, vlc crashes in about
>    70% of the cases with various messages.
>    Most often, it says
>    "Gdk-ERROR **: BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter)
>      serial 39 error_code 178 request_code 146 minor_code 2"
>    But giving it another try or two, it usually works then.
>    Next often is the error
>    "PES trashed - decoder fifo full !",
>    and the third often error I get are segfaults.
>    Very rarely, when switching around different
>    chapters or titles on the dvd, vlc simply freezes
>    and I get an error from Xlib sysing that there was
>    an unexpected async event followed by some (varying)
>    hex number code.
>    I was not able to find any pattern under which
>    circumstances which of the above errors/crashes occurs.
>    However, NONE of this happens with vlc 0.2.73,
>    and playing mpegs seems to be much less problematic.
>    There, only the BadShmSeg error sometimes occurs.

I might know what causes these crashes with Xvideo. the Xvideo plugin (like
the directx video plugin) accesses p_vout->p_rendered_pic which is set in the
RunThread() function in src/video_output/video_output.c.
The problem is that this variable, which is a pointer, is not initialized
properly and is also not used if you run with the software renderer (as
opposed to the YUV overlay mode).
So the Xvideo plugin can in some conditions access an invalid pointer and
makes everything going pear shape!

If I can I will try to find some time this evening to look at the problem.

By the way, the problems you've got are with the current CVS version or plain
vanilla 0.2.80 release?

--
Gildas