/dev/dsp: device is used by another service

Gabriele Pohl listig at dipohl.de
Sat May 26 21:39:35 CEST 2001

Hi all,

i hope you can help me with the following problem:

When I start the program, I get this error:

VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.73 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001
VideoLAN
intf: interface initialized
vout error: didn't find a suitable Xvideo image input port.
vout error: video initialization failed, video is deactivated
/dev/dsp: Das Gerät oder die Ressource ist belegt

-> translation to english:
/dev/dsp: device is used by another service

input: opening file `dvd:/dev/dvd'

I made the program with:

   make distclean && ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-gnome \
      --enable-fb  --enable-esd \
      --enable-alsa --enable-mga --enable-gtk  \
      --disable-optimizatons

And disabled SDL manually in Makefile.opts, cause there are
compiling errors if it's choosen in the Plugin-List.

With the resulting program, I can hear the sound of the
disk, but video is disabled.

Any idea how I can debug or solve the problem?

Yours

Gabriele