segfault when not as root

Michael T. Babcock mbabcock at fibrespeed.net
Tue Nov 13 15:12:19 CET 2001

Christophe Massiot wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 13, 2001, nico wrote:
>
>>I guess this is very common and easy to solve, it is probably a rights
>>management issue, but I can't find the good settings on my /dev/dvd, and I am
>>only able to play DVD's when su as root. As single user, it just segfaults.
>>

>Have you tried a chmod 666 /dev/[your real device] (for instance /dev/hdd) ?
>It shows up in dmesg.

That's not what most people would consider "good" settings for it ;-)

What Nico might not know is that the device needs to be writable by the
user / group in question.

On linux:
groupadd dvd
chgrp dvd /dev/hdd (in your example, /dev/sr0 in my case)
chmod 664 /dev/hdd (to make the device also readable by anyone)

Then make sure that your user and any other appropriate users are in the
dvd group.

--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed