device dvd with macppc and vlc for Windows 2000

Nagamori Isao i_nagamori at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Nov 22 02:08:54 CET 2001

Hello All,

THank you very much replying me, david-san,  terry-san,
Christophe-san
and Thomas-san.

> you don't need to create a /dev/dvd with mknod, just
> make a symbolic link
> to your dvd device (hdb,hdc o whatever) with 'ln -s
> /dev/hdX /dev/dvd'

I tried to use DVD, but I could not use DVD device.
Even though I inserted CD into DVD/CD device, I couldn't
mount CD with following error messages.

  ---
  Could not mount device.
  The reported error was
  mount: I could not determin the file system type, and
  none was specified.
  ---

I think this is LINUX problem. But if you have information
about it, please let me know.

If  I forced to execute vlc as follows, the error said
  ---
  [nagamori at mottky nagamori]$ vlc dvd:/dev/dvd
  VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.91_2001-11-19 Ourumov -
(C)1996-2001 VideoLAN

  libdvdcss error: css error: ioctl_ReadCopyright failed,
  make sure there is a DVD in the   drive, and that DVD
  ioctls were compiled in this libdvdcss version
  libdvdcss error: CSS test failed
  UDF: Partition 0 not found
  dvd error: fatal failure in ifo
  ---

[ vlc with Windows 2000 problem]
I installed vlc with Windows 2000, too. I could install
vlc, but I couldn't watch MPG 1 file with vlc.
But  I could watch that file with Windows Media Player
version 6.4.09.

What I tried are:
(1) Selected MPG file with [File]->[Open File] in vlc
     menu.
(2) Then I push [Play] button, but nothing played.
(3) Even though I opened the "Play List", there were no
     file information and Duration was "no info".
(4) I couldn't select file in "[Setting Preference] ->
    [File] -> [Brows]".
(5) Interface : Default Interface  in
    [Setting]->[Preference]  was "gtk+".
     Is that right ?