choppy dvd performance

Matthew P. Soccio soce10 at acsworld.net
Fri Nov 23 04:54:50 CET 2001

I downloaded the source, but could not compile with gtk because make
exited with a:

gcc -fPIC -o ../gtk.so gtk.o intf_gtk.o gtk_interface.o gtk_support.o
gtk_display.o gtk_open.o gtk_control.o gtk_menu.o gtk_playlist.o
gtk_modules.o gtk_preferences.o gtk_callbacks.o -shared -L/usr/lib
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk  -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm
/usr/lib/libglib.a(gutils.o): In function `g_atexit':
gutils.o(.text+0x90): multiple definition of `g_atexit'
intf_gtk.o(.text+0x704): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: size of symbol `g_atexit' changed from 55 to 80 in
gutils.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [../gtk.so] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/src/vlc-0.2.91/plugins/gtk'
make: *** [plugins/gtk.so] Error 2

Tried a the latest gtk+ & devel packages and still no luck.  Even when I
disabled gtk on the configure, vcl crashed immediately anyway.

I got the rpms and now I can play a dvd and hear sound as long as I do
it from the command line.  When using the gui, it Seg Faults right after
I click ok to choose the dvd.  I don't really care about this, but if
you want any output, I'll jack up the -vvvv and send you some.

When the screen comes up, I get choppy playback.  I have tried the esd
plugin, both the ones that came with the rpm and the one that I
compiled, tried different video settings and to no avail.  When I do a
--novideo, the sound is still choppy.

mplayer -vvvv yeilds:

dvd warning: DTS audio not handled yet(0x89bd)

and tons of:

vout warning: late picture skipped (0x8197590)

If you want all of the output from this, I will gladly send it along.

I have a cd burner on the same IDE chain with my DVD player, both are
being picked up as SCSI devices so that the burner will work.  I do not
know if the scsi emulation would cause problems, but I will try
recompiling my kernel some other night.

Below is the skinny on my system.  So far, of the media players with css
capabilities, yours is working the best, so I hope that someone can help
me fine tune this or slap me along side my head with an obvious oversight.

Matt

Red Hat 7.1

Linux caddis 2.4.13 #1 Wed Nov 21 20:20:56 EST 2001 i686 AuthenticAMD

XFree86 Version 4.1.0 / X Window System

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 4
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 997.184
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 1985.74

SBLive! card with emu10k driver compiled into kernel

ATI Expert 2000 Rage 128 AGP with kernel AGP and SBLive support, r128
driver from gatos