vlc 0.2.83-1 loss of function

Phil Wirtz pwirtz at pla-net.net
Wed Nov 28 04:50:15 CET 2001

I have been using vlc 0.2.83-1 for a couple of months . Now  if I start
it from term I get the
graphic interface  and when I select  /dev/cdrom ( I Also can't  change
the default preferences)
on the term screen I receive  the following error message
Gdk-ERROR **: BadValue (interger parameter out of range for operation)
   serial 32 error_code 2 request_code 89 minor code 0

This occured after I downloaded a series of games including Doom  (which
runs but only in a
4"x3" window) of the other games I only have been able to get about 50%
to work mostly with
errors concerning  being unable  to access files that are present .  I
am not yet familuar enough with linux to know whether or not this is
related to my problems  with vlc .

 My System consists of the following
        Hardware
            1.0Ghz Athlon processor
            256 Mb type 133 ram
            8mb Trident Blade 3d video
            creative labs Ensoruq (SP) sound
            /dev/cdrom = Lite-on IDE DVD
            /dev/cdrom1= Lite on IDE CD-RW
        Software
            Redhat 7.1 retaill
             sawfish window manager
                libs:
                        alsa-lib 0.5.10b1
                        libdvdcss 0.0.3.ogle2-1
                        SDL1.2.3-1
                        libcss 0.1.0-1
                    77 developement libs
                        Packages from linuxvideo.org installed before
vlc but could not get DVD to play with
                        them

I have downloaded the latest vlc packages and will install them
tommorow  I will
email the results .I am more concerned with finding any conficting
pacakages . While I
could just wipe out my system and start from scratch I would like to
know what happened
and why . Any insight that you care to provide me would be greatly
appreciated

Phil Wirtz
pwirtz at pla-net.net

To Crash and Burn is sometimes the only way to Learn